Academic Internships

A for-credit, academic internship is an approved and supervised work experience that meets specific student learning goals related to an academic field of study. Students receiving academic credit for internships enroll in a course that grounds experiential learning.

Internships for academic credit are an effective way for you to gain work experience in your field of study before graduation. Having an internship is like creating a road map for career success. Studies show that 7 out of 10 internships may turn into full-time jobs. 

SF State defines a for-credit academic internship (paid or unpaid) as a structured and supervised professional work experience that is directly related to a student's major field of study or career interest. This learning opportunity is a mutual partnership between the student, the internship site supervisor, and the course instructor.

Many SF State academic departments offer credit-bearing internship courses. SF State course instructors will determine specific course guidelines, and requirements, and administer course credit. 


International students with F-1 visa status must be authorized by the Office of International Programs (OIP) and be approved for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) in order to participate in an academic internship. Other non-immigrant visa holders (i.e. H-4, J-2, etc.) must adhere to their visa regulations

Please refer to the Office of International Programs (OIP) for more information. The links below will also provide information and questions about the types of jobs allowed (or not) under CPT, e.g., paid and unpaid internships, volunteering, etc. 

OIP has dedicated staff and resources to support you.

ICCE provides administrative support and placement opportunities for students in non-clinical academic internships (AI). 


SF State ULink is a web platform that supports the “logistics” of community engagement courses – how students and community partners begin working together. Every SF State has an ULink account and can log in via their university SSO. 

Through ULink:

  • Students find a community-based organization to work with.

  • Community-based organizations post opportunities.

  • Students may request that the university establish a partnership with an organization not currently listed.

  • Students complete the required participation forms and confirm the community engagement/service learning hours they have completed with the partner organization.

  • Faculty use ULink to track student hours and activities (students in community-based courses will be informed by their instructors if they are expected to use ULink).

To begin this process, it is strongly recommended that students read the ULink & Site Placement Student User Guide first. To find more information on the steps involved in finding, contacting, and securing your community engagement/service learning opportunity with a community-based organization, see below:

Congratulations on finding your internship / service-learning opportunity!

Now that you have confirmed an opportunity with an organization that is not listed as a partner organization in the ULink Directory, the next step is to complete a "Request Placement with Non-Contracted Site" within your ULink account. 

Refer to the ULink & Site Placement Student User Guide (Road Map 2 scenario) to "Request Placement with Non-Contracted Site".

When you make your "Request Placement with Non-Contracted Site" within your ULink account, ICCE will be able to send you your required form: Acknowledgment of No LPSA (Learning Placement Site Agreement) & Student Informed Consent Packet.

Community Site Placement general email: