All applicants for positions in the America Reads program, as well a specific service-learning, and academic internships in which the applicant will have access to minors are required to complete a background check (commonly referred to as Livescan, a technique and the technology used by law enforcement agencies and private facilities to capture fingerprints and palm prints electronically, without the need for the more traditional method of ink and paper) through the SF State University Police Department (UPD). UPD offers Livescan fingerprinting services to students, faculty, and staff. The cost of getting a Livescan will be paid by each person individually unless stated otherwise. Please check in with your corresponding coordinator (please see below).
Before You Go
- Put your name on the Livescan list connected to your course and/or program (ask your coordinator, see below)
- Confirm with your coordinator that your name has been added to the list, to obtain a Livescan form, and/or inquire more information as to whether your service-learning and/or academic internship placement site requires a background clearance:
- Call UPD to schedule an appointment before you go, (415) 338-6043
- Complete the Livescan form provided by your requesting agency or from ICCE and bring to your appointment with UPD
What to Bring to Your Appointment
- Valid government issued ID such as driver’s license, state/government ID card, or passport
- Campus ID card if you are a current student, in order to receive a campus discount
- Bring completed Livescan form provided by your requesting agency or from ICCE and bring to your appointment with UPD
- The following are accepted as forms of payments: credit/debit cards
Costs for Livescan
UPD charges the following fees for Livescan processing:
- SF State Students:$59.00 (includes $10.00 processing fee, FBI fee - $17.00, Dept. of Justice - $32.00)
UPD General Hours of Operation
- Monday - Friday 8:30AM - 5:00PM
- Call ahead for an appointment, (415) 338-6043
Hours are subject to change without notice. Always call ahead for an appointment.
The SF State University Police Department is located on the Lake Merced Blvd side of the campus on North State Drive. They are located pass Annex I and Annex 2 on the left hand side as you are driving in from Lake Merced Blvd (Map Here).