America Reads Program
America Reads is a federally funded work-study program, and has been present at SF State since 1997. The "America Reads Challenge" stems from President Clinton's educational initiative to ensure that every child in America learned to read well with the help of a reading tutor. Federal work-study funds enable colleges and universities to hire service-minded college students to help meet this challenge.
SF State students are hired to provide academic support in K-4th grade classrooms in San Francisco elementary schools. America Reads is a great opportunity for those interested in pursuing a teaching career and gain important skills during their participation with the program. Partnering with the Graduate College of Education in Burk Hall, America Reads participants gain insight into the teaching credential pathways provided by the Department of Elementary Education.
America Reads tutors are San Francisco State University undergraduate and graduate students from various backgrounds and majors who are interested in working with youth. As part of their training, tutors utilize creative and innovative ways to design culturally relevant lesson plans to enhance the reading experience for their assigned students. Over time, tutors develop experience and understanding related to working in urban public schools, while they make connections with teachers, principals, supervisors, and most of all their elementary level students. Tutors end the program having made an impact on the schools' community and being personally transformed by their one-on-one tutoring sessions.
The training course is ongoing throughout the academic year, and provides tutors over 52 hours of in-depth preparation, problem-solving, and community-building. The average America Reads tutor will spend more than 200 hours in an elementary-level classroom.
Accepting Applications (year-round)!
- Update: online application portal will be available shortly.
Become a Tutor
Seeking dynamic tutors for SF State America Reads!
- Attain experience working with elementary-age students in the classrooms.
- Gain the required hours of field experience necessary for admittance to SF State's Elementary Education credential program
- Utilize innovative and creative methods to increase students’ skill levels in the academics needed to improve their literacy skills.
- Inspire and learn from your tutees, peers, and teachers.
- PAID OPPORTUNITY!
Job Qualifications & Requirements
- Eligible for Work-study
- Commitment to work for one academic school year (August-May)
- Available to work 6-10 hours a week, during school hours: 8:00am-3:30pm
- Enroll in a special 3-unit Credit/No Credit [EE D 645 "Direct Experiences with Children] training class every Thursday from 4-7PM, both Fall and Spring Semesters
- Desired Second Language Skills: Chinese, Spanish, Tagalog, Arabic, Vietnamese, Russian, Japanese, Samoan, Korean
Please contact Eunice Kim | 415-405-7557 | firstname.lastname@example.org
San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) Teachers
Are you interested in hosting an America Counts tutor in your classroom for the upcoming 2020-2021 school year? Please complete the SFUSD Cooperating Teacher Application
If you have questions or would like to learn more about the America Reads Program, please contact Eunice Kim | 415-405-7557 | email@example.com