For Faculty/Staff - Risk Management: Academic Internships

To ensure students’ safety, academic internship course policies have changed requiring that all academic internship placements comply with SF State (Senate Policy S17-278) and CSU (Executive Order 1064) risk management policies to create positive and safe off-campus learning experiences. The SF State administration has directed ICCE to support the implementation of Academic Senate Policy S17-278, effective fall 2018. ICCE will work closely with all departments/programs and students seeking one-on-one consultation. 

ICCE Goals for Faculty and Staff:

  • Provide risk management administrative support for the faculty and students engaged in the high-impact practice of for-credit, academic internships
  • Assist with sustaining existing and developing new university-community partnerships related to for-credit internships
  • Honor Relationships: Acknowledge & respect existing relationships and have a transparent process in place

ICCE Services to Faculty and Staff includes:

  • Develop and screen academic internship sites for appropriateness and safety in consultation with departments and the university Enterprise Risk Management office
  • Retain student placement and consent form information
  • Collect and retain student placement data to generate reports as required by Senate Policy S17-278

Academic Internship Learning Site Placement

  • Academic internship placements must be at University approved organizations. Approved organizations are “host learning placement sites” with a formal 5-year contract in place, called the Learning Placement Site Agreement (LPSA).
  • All LPSA Agreements and a list of approved organizations can be found within ULink, SF State’s official community engagement database. All SF State faculty and staff have access to this list by registering and creating a ULink profile.

Faculty and Staff Steps for Academic Internships

Academic Internship Learning Site form.

This survey is to collect a list of internship sites that have hosted your students in the past two semesters to slowly build a list of University approved sites for your program/course. ICCE will confirm if any of these sites are already a “University approved agency”. (Link to separate page with information on University approved agency.”

Student Steps for Academic Internships 

  • In preparations for the upcoming semester, please have your students register as early as possible, so that they can get a head start in their search for internship sites.
  • If your students’ secure an internship outside of ULink (includes opportunities found in “Handshake”, replaced Gator Jobs, managed by SF State Office of Career Services & Leadership Development),  under the new Senate Policy S17-278, a Learning Placement Site Agreement (LPSA) must be in place before your students’ start their internship.
  • If students’ secure an internship outside of ULink, please submit the internship information to ICCE to start the University approval process in preparation for the upcoming semester.
  • Students still must register with ULink and notify their instructor of their learning site information. Faculty should submit the learning site information for the upcoming semester by using the Learning Sites Excel Template. To see deadlines please view the Faculty/Staff Academic Internship Timeline.
  • ICCE will do our best to accommodate new learning sites and the University approval process, however ICCE needs advance notice to contact the internship site. If there is no current LPSA, keep in mind that each internship site varies and we cannot predict how fast the approval process will be.
  • Once your student secures an internship site and enrolled in the internship course, direct them to complete the Learning Plan and the Student Informed ConsentForm.
  • A suggested timeline is to have your students complete the Learning Plan with their site supervisor and sign the Student Informed Consent form within the first two weeks of the academic semester.
  • To customize a Learning Plan for your program/department, please contact Eunice Kim, Program Coordinator| (415) 405-7557|
  • Once you approve and sign the Learning Plan, students are to upload this signed copy to their ULink profile, OR Instructors can collect the learning plans and submit them to ICCE |HSS 206. Digital scan and upload can be sent to

****Note the following Exceptions - For the purpose of CSU EO 1064, “academic internship” does not include student teacher preparation placements or clinical placements such as for nursing, counseling, physical therapy or occupational therapy. These placement sites undergo a separate university agreement that is specific to student teaching and clinical guidelines. Please contact your department for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Although ICCE will work strictly on our timeline to ensure departments are accommodated, the completion of risk management relies heavily on the response time of the community partners and the amount of time they need to complete required forms. The University approval process can take days to weeks, depending oif the site is responsive and has the capacity to complete the risk management process.
  • ICCE is delegated to facilitate the risk management of all academic internships at SF State due to ICCE's experience with facilitating and implementing the risk management processes for all community service learning (CSL) designated courses.
  • ICCE will work with all departments to ensure that placement sites comply by submitting all required documents and participate in a site visit if necessary. ICCE does not evaluate courses nor determine if learning sites are appropriate for the learning requirements of the courses, this remains the responsibility of the course instructor/program/department. However, ICCE can provide resources or provide 1-on-1 consultation with faculty and students who would like to determine a learning site appropriate for them, their interests, and their course.
  • The community engagement website, ULink is available for the SF State community. Students, faculty, and staff can register to make an account. Once registered, any individual can access University-approved partners and their opportunities. The website serves to link the SF State community to the broader Bay Area community to address community-defined needs.
  • All partners are required to register and create an account. This is the required first step in the risk management process. During the registration, partners will be asked to complete a Learning Site Assessment, which allows ICCE to assess the risks associated with the student placement.
  • Yes. The University's requirements are the same for both kinds of internships. The partners (i.e., companies, businesses, hotels) are required to have a valid agreement with the University, complete the site risk assessment as well as provide proof of General Liability Insurance. Although paid opportunities provide other benefits to their employees (students), it does not supplement the risk management requirements of the University.
  • If the student is a current paid employee of the company or organization and would like to use their employment for their internship course, the student must get approval from their course instructor and work with ICCE to accomplish specific risk management process.
  • Per the CSU CO and University Procurement and Risk Management offices, contracts (i.e., Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), dept. /program internship agreements) with sites signed by a department representative or faculty are no longer valid and will not suffice if the student requests access to the student professional liability insurance program, SAFECLIP. In order for a student, who is receiving academic credit access to SAFECLIP, a valid Learning Placement Site Agreement (LPSA) must be in place. All liability will fall onto the course instructor and student in the case that there is no valid University agreement in place, should the course instructor approve the placement site and allow the student to do their internship at at learning site that does not have a valid LPSA. The University and the CSU acknowledge only contracts signed by SF State staff that have official designation of authority. ICCE’s Associate Director has the designation to sign the LPSA on behalf of SF State.
  • Note the following exceptions: For the purpose of CSU EO 1064, “academic internship” does not include student teacher preparation placements or clinical placements such as for nursing, counseling, physical therapy or occupational therapy. These placement sites undergo a separate university agreement that is specific to student teaching and clinical guidelines and is signed by the University's Procurement Director. Please contact your department for more information.
  • Handshake, is SF State's career/jobsite platform, which students use to view and search for employment opportunities both on and off-campus. With a Handshake account, organizations also have the opportunity to post internship opportunities. ULink is different from Handshake in that it has the risk management components embedded into the system, organizations can approve and track intern hours, and have the opportunity to connect with SF State faculty & staff for potential research and service learning projects.
  • When you post your internship opportunities, students may seek to earn academic credit for their internship with your organization. We refer to this as academic internships. These academic interns are interns that perform an internship alongside a class that requires the internship for course credit. There are a few simple forms involved in regards to risk management between SF State and the host site/organization, and once completed they serve the whole University. As an approved partner, your site will be placed on the ULink directory, which SF State students can view as they search for volunteer, internship, and community service learning sites. To begin the process, we ask organizations to register with ULink. However, we do encourage organizations to continue to post on Handshake as well for students will look at both platforms.
  • Non-academic interns are students that are taking an internship completely because they are interested in the experience. These positions can be paid or voluntary, but they are completely separate from the University. These internships are not as stringent on specific learning outcomes and do not require a University agreement because the interns are not receiving academic credit.
Yes. International students in F-1 Student status must apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) through Office of International Programs (OIP). Other non-immigrant visa holders (i.e. H-4, J-2…etc) must adhere to their visa regulations.