Panetta Congressional Internship
Each fall semester, the Panetta Institute for Public Policy, located in Monterey, provides select CSU students with an intensive two-week training course on the workings of the U.S. Congress, then sends them to Washington, DC, all expenses paid, for 11 weeks to serve for a California member in the House of Representatives. In Washington, interns will attend special seminars with government leaders, journalists, and policy experts. Students majoring in any subject are eligible to apply. The internship covers all expenses, including air travel, and food and lodging while in Monterey and in Washington, DC. Each intern also will receive a stipend to help cover other expenses. Interns may earn up to 20 semester credits through CSU Monterey for a semester.
Daniel Richardson - SF State's 2018 Panetta Congressional Intern
Daniel Richardson is a junior majoring in Business and Economics with a concentration in Decision Science. Mr. Richardson was raised in Napa, California by a working-class family who fostered the values of honest workmanship and personal ingenuity. Upon reflection on his experience in South-East Asia, Mr. Richardson decided to pursue a second major in Economics to grasp an understanding of public and labor economics. Mr. Richardson’s intellectual interests are in researching the economic effects of decentralized technologies, artificial intelligence, and peer-to-peer business models. Through the Panetta Institute, Mr. Richardson plans to gain insight into the public economic sector and policymaking to discover how these technologies may be governed. He plans to graduate fall of 2019 and hopes to pursue opportunities with the United Nations, the American Institute of Economic Research, or the Federal Bank where he would like to employ the technologies of tomorrow to decrease the amount of poverty around the world.
Application Information (TBD: February 2019)
Each Fall semester, the Panetta Institute for Public Policy provides select CSU students:
- Two-week training courses on the working for the U.S. Congress, then sends them to Washington, D.C.
- All expenses paid – 11 weeks/college units
- Attendance during special seminars with government leaders, journalists, and policy experts.
- Students majoring in any subject are eligible to apply
- U.S. citizen and State of California resident
- Upper division undergraduate: Junior or Senior status during internship (120 units maximum)
- Superior academic achievement (3.3+ GPA)
- Demonstrated commitment to community and public service and leadership
- Excellent English oral and written skills to interact with constituents appropriately
- Willing to live in assigned group housing during the entire 11 week program
- Never been disciplined under the CA Code of Regulations, Title 5, Article 2, Sec. 41301
- Proof of health insurance that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act and covers the students while residing and working in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area
- Willing to undergo a background check
Expectations if Selected:
Be willing to live in assigned group housing with other interns during the entire program:
SF State (ICCE)
Students must be able to participate fully in this Congressional Internship Program and not be involved in any other employment or pursuit of employment. Further, no additional course enrollment is allowed outside of the Congressional Internship Program. That includes preparing for or scheduling of LSAT, MCAT, ORE, or other graduate school exams or preparing for other tests. And, finally, students will not be excused for family or other reasons unless there is an emergency or extenuating circumstance.
2019 SFSU Panetta Timeline:
Thursday, Janurary 31st
Info Session with Current Panetta Intern (12:30pm, LIB 222)
Wednesday, February 13th
Application Due by 5pm
Week of February 18th
ICCE Selects and Interviews Candidates
Monday, February 25th
ICCE Submit Recommendation to the SFSU President
Week of February 25th
SFSU President Interviews Student Nominee(s)
Friday, March 1st
Deadline for SFSU Nomination to the Panetta Institute
For more information on how to apply to this program, please contact Jose R. Lopez at email@example.com
Panetta Congressional Interns - Past and Present
Panetta Congressional Interns: 2008-Present
Where are they now? Check out their LinkedIn profiles!